Save Time By Using Keyboard ShortcutsThis post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
I’ve been using keyboard shortcuts for quite a few years and I can’t tell you how much time it’s saved me!
Now, you may be asking what in the world keyboard shortcuts are. So, let me back up for a second!
Keyboard shortcuts are using multiple keys on your keyboard to perform a task without moving your hands to your mouse (thus saving you tons of time)!
There are probably hundreds of keyboard shortcuts but I’m going to share with you the ones I use the most!
- Ctrl + C = Copy
- Ctrl + V = Paste
- Ctrl + F = Find
- Ctrl + A = All
- Ctrl + X = Cut
- Ctrl + Z = Undo/Redo
- Ctrl + Shift + Arrow = Highlight from sentence to sentence (you could use this if you want to highlight and move/delete a few sentences)
- Ctrl + Arrow = Move from sentence to sentence
- Alt + Tab = Switch between software (Word, Web browser, etc.)
When you first start using keyboard shortcuts you’ll quickly wonder how in the world it’s going to save you time. Just like anything else, getting in the groove of learning something new takes time. (Last year I shared these keyboard shortcuts with my girlfriends. I’ll admit that they were a bit apprehensive when first starting out because they were so slow. However, when I checked back a few months later they were pumped at how fast they’d become – it was a life changer for them!)
Just like my girlfriends, I promise that if you stick with it and use the shortcuts on a regular basis you’ll get in a routine of using them and you’ll be flying on the computer. (One way you can train yourself is to unplug your mouse or move it to another part of your desk.)
If you’re using a Mac (like me) here are your keyboard shortcuts!
- Command + C = Copy
- Command + V = Paste
- Command + F = Find
- Command + A = All
- Command + X = Cut
- Command + Z = Undo/Redo
- Command + Tab = Switch between software (Pages, Web browser, etc.)
- Command + Option (Alt) + Arrow = Switch between tabs in web browser
- Option (Alt) + Shift + Arrow = Highlight from sentence to sentence (you could use this if you want to highlight and move/delete a few sentences)
- Option (Alt) + Arrow = Move from sentence to sentence
Do you use keyboard shortcuts? What’s your tip for saving time when working on the computer?