Don’t be intimidated to make homemade chicken pot pie like I was. This recipe is super simple and when it’s on the table and in your family’s tummies, you’ll be so proud that you made it from scratch!
I love how versatile this dish is. You can definitely use any veggies, meat or spices you’d like. The sky’s the limit with the flavor combinations! Next time I’ll be adding peas to the mix! (Trent and I both agreed that they would be a nice addition.)
If you’re into freezer cooking, you can mix up a triple batch of the “filling” and place it into individual freezer bags. Watch out Marie Callender’s, you’ve got a bit of competition!
It wasn’t until I started putting the pie together until I realized that I had bought a 9 inch pie crust and my pie pan is 9 1/2 inches. Live and learn I guess. It may not be the prettiest chicken pot pie ever, but I made it work! There was definitely plenty of filling to make a 9 1/2 inch pie.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
1 pkg refrigerated pie crusts
2 medium potatoes
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cups chicken broth (or whatever flavor you’d like)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
2 cups shredded chicken
1 1/2 cup frozen corn (or any veggies of your choice)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
salt and pepper
- Peel and dice your potatoes and carrots.
- Sautee your onions in oil. Add your broth, potatoes, and carrots, and simmer until your vegetables are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Melt your butter in the microwave. Add your flour and milk, and whisk until combined.
- Add the milk mixture to your simmered vegetable mixture and stir until it thickens.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables and seasonings and heat through.
- Line your pie pan (I used 9 1/2″ pan) with the bottom pie crust. Pour in your mixture and top with the second pie crust. Cut a few slits in the top of the crust to let steam come through. Bake 45-55 minutes at 350.
Recipe adapted from AndreaDekker.com
Trent’s a big fan of pot pie so I was anxious to see what he thought. After I dished up our bowls, I waited in anticipation as he took the first bite. I automatically got a thumbs up! Success!
We both agreed that this homemade chicken pot pie is delicious! From the veggies to the gravy, this recipe is a homerun and I’ll definitely be making it again soon!
What ingredients do you like to put in your pot pie?